This flavorful, spiced pumpkin curry is a perfect warming autumn recipe.
The herbs used to season this curry are warming and digestive aids. They are a perfect example incorporating medicinal, health promoting herbs as part of your daily diet.
Warming herbs bring blood to the surface of the skin and warm the body. They also tend to soothe the stomach and aid digestion.
Pumpkin Curry Ingredients:
- Oil for frying
- 1 pack extra firm tofu, cubed (can sub chick peas, if subbing add after the coconut milk)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 - 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste, this amount is slightly spicy)
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 - 13.5 oz can of full coconut milk (can use light)
- 1 cup water
Optional: Basmati rice
- If you are serving with rice start the rice and let cook while making the curry.
- In its own frying pan preheat oil and cube and fry tofu until golden. Set aside.
- Preheat and oil in large pan at medium heat. Add onion and cook until transparent. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add carrots and tomato and cook until carrot is becoming slightly tender (about 5 - 8 minutes)
- Add pumpkin and all spices, combine. Add coconut milk and water and mix well.
- Add tofu.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Add additional spices as needed to taste.
- Serve with rice.
This delicious pumpkin curry is not only easy to make but good for you too! It is a great way to warm your bones on colder fall or winter days.
If you like this recipe check out our Tasty Pumpkin Soup recipe!