A Brief History About the Uses of Cranberries

The Cranberry (genus Vaccinium) is native to the swamps and bogs of northeastern North America.

The word cranberry derives from “craneberry” because the early European settlers in America felt that the expanding flower, stem, calyx and petals resembled the neck, head and bill of a crane bird. In 17th century New England, cranberries were sometimes called “bearberries” because bears were often seen eating them.

Native Americans used cranberries in a variety of foods, the most popular being pemmican, a high-protein combination of crushed cranberries, dried deer meat, and melted fat. They also used it as a medicine to treat arrow wounds and as a dye for rugs and blankets.
About 95% of the cranberries cultivated are processed into products such as juice drinks, sauce, and sweetened, dried cranberries. The remaining 5% are sold fresh to consumers.

A few of benefits of cranberries

Cranberries are most closely related to blueberries, and the two contain a lot of the same health benefits, antioxidant properties and uses.

In North America, Native Americans were the first to use cranberries as food.  It’s believed that cranberries were commonly eaten for their digestive support and ability to boost the immune system

They used a poultice made from cranberries to help heal wounds, according to the 1999 Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink

Since the early 21st century, raw cranberries have been marketed as a “superfruit” because of their hefty nutrient content and antioxidant qualities.


With majority of herbs used for herbal medicine originating outside of North America, I find it special that cranberries are native here. The reasons to consume cranberries is a no brainer with their great benefits for the body and they are quite delicious. Perhaps I am unique but cranberry sauce is a must on my Thanksgiving plate!

Herbal Roots Cranberry with Nettle supplement is an easy way to get the benefits of cranberries everyday.  

Bottle of Herbal Roots Cranberry next to a mortar and pestle. There are raw cranberries in the mortar and to the left of the bottle. There are cranberry capsules on the right of the bottle between the bottle and the mortar and there are a couple of capsules to the right of the mortar.

*This article is intended for informational purposes. The statements above have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.